Monday, December 14, 2009


The street I walked on this afternoon
wasn't quite like this
but wasn't that different, either.
I'd just asked a fellow on the sidewalk
if he knew where Powell was
and he said Powell?
it was, oh, way over in Emoryville!
and he waved- way over there
and he gave me three bus numbers
and where to make the exchanges
he had beautiful eyes
and one gold tooth
and I thanked him very politely
and the pedestrian light flashed on
and I crossed the street we stood by
and on the other side
the street sign now read Powell
and there was an office window
that read Emoryville
in ornate letters
and the air smelled cool
different
like i was breathing
very high in the sky
or roses with no scent
peaceful and happy all at once
and the people walking by
who were frowning
we were breathing the same air
It took a lot of effort
for my legs to move this morning to the park
but this afternoon
it was as though my feet weren't even on the pavement
and I don't know why

No comments: