Sunday, December 6, 2009


Some people argue that computer games are a waste of time. I would agree that they certainly can become addictive. However, my experience has been that they can also help me exercise my brain, clarify my thinking, and sometimes teach my brain new ways to process information. Ironically, time spent with the computer, like with a good novel, can help me understand life off the computer screen.

Another benefit is that game playing can broaden skills and comfort with using new applications. These skills can transfer to work and research related situations.

I was just visiting a site I like called Galaxy Zoo . Volunteers are invited to contribute data toward strengthening computer capabilities to distinguish different types of galaxies and features within galaxies, something the site claims humans still do better than computers. So, instead of playing a solitary game of sudoku, I spend ten minutes looking at images of galaxies, and helping out our understanding of the universe by providing feedback. For example, I answer questions that can help determine whether the photo is likely that of a spiral galaxy or a globular cluster.

No comments: