Saturday, July 17, 2010


The first Buddha statue I ever saw was during a Sunday family outing to Avery Island in Louisiana in the late 1960s. It’s housed in a glass pagoda structure on a little island within the gardens there. (Note that neither island is technically a true island, but a slight rise in elevation above the surrounding flat gulf terrain.) The land, the gardens, the Buddha belonged to the McIlhenny family, who produced the now famous Tabasco sauce there.

I’ve been back to Avery Island now and again, home to nutria, egrets, alligators and draping wisteria. Each time, a coolness and serenity seem to surround the statue, an oasis from the heat. The Buddha is reportedly over 800 years old, was shipped from Asia, spoils from a warlord altercation. It seemed sad to me it was so far from its home. But now I think perhaps it’s where it’s supposed to be. For many local visitors to the gardens, this Buddha may be the first and only one they ever see.

Buddha Speaks

Peacefully I rest
Upon this lagoon’s bank
As pale green bamboos
Sway above my throne.
Clouds of blossoms
Soften the sifted light
Falling golden and misty
Through the boughs above.
Long days of travel
Brought me from my home,
Yet I have known no hour of calmer rest
My thoughts are like
The swaying bamboos’ crest
Waved to and fro
Above the rippling stream
Clear and blue
As from a glorious dream

~ E A McIlhenny

The Buddha in the photo above is from my apartment building. Images of the Avery Island Buddha on Flickr and elsewhere can be found by googling ‘Avery Island Buddha’.

No comments: