Friday, March 12, 2010








There's a framed print in the foyer called 'The Spirits of Barton Springs'. I'll have to photograph it some time and share it. The artist's name is K. Holland. The perspective is as though the viewer is under water, looking at the bluegills and other fishes, some stray bits of trash, a petroglyph of a swimming human, and pale silhouettes of humans above the surface of the water. I've had it for awhile. Even with the plastic bleach bottle in the water, the overall mood of the piece is serene.

If anyone had asked me how many fish are there in the picture, I would have thought, 'Five?' There are three fish that make up the main composition, plus a reflection of one them, but I thought maybe there were a couple more in the backgound a bit.

Tonight, I walked by the print and happened to pause. I looked at it up close, and was startled by several rather camouflaged brown fish pointing downward in a small cave-like crevice in some stones. Several more tiny fish are swimming near the bottom of the springs. What a surprise - I counted 16 altogether!

How could I have missed that many fishes? Perhaps it's a sign of how unobservant I can be. But I also like to think it's a compliment to the artist. With a good piece of art, no matter how many times you look at it, you always find something new.

No comments: